Monday, March 10, 2008

The Stockings Were Hung By The Chimney with Care

Stockings are an essential part of the magic of Christmas. The tradition began over in Germany with kids just putting out socks on Christmas Eve. But with the popularity, it grew to become a ritual for everyone all over the world. For all of the kids who were on the “nice” list, they were rewarded by the man in red with presents overflowing in their stockings. But, if you were on the “naughty” list then you were given a lump of coal. That would not be a good thing for the children who received it on Christmas morning.

The thought of a lump of coal would be a stable threat with kids—my mom used it her fair share in the weeks before Christmas. If my brother, sister and I ever acted up before the big day, my mom would always say, “You better watch out, I’ve got Santa on speed dial and I don’t think you want a lump of coal in your stocking!” That would get us to calm down and stop pissing her off within 2.3 seconds. That would be hanging over us for the rest of the day, or at least until we found something else to do to make her mad.

But stockings are pretty much a staple when it comes to holiday decorating. I’ve had the same stocking since I was little, and so have my brother and sister and even my parents have had the same stockings since they were little. Stockings are a good way to keep kids in check as well as a solid way to decorate any fireplace mental.

No comments: